Saturday 9 April 2016

Books, books, books

There've been many changes in the three months (three months?) since I last blogged. Without being too specific, inviting stalkers, lurkers, or "I'm your number one fan", I am now working at a place with lots of books! In addition I have a few hours voluntary work that involves sewing and crafts. How lucky am I? Books and sewing are two of my favourite things, so it's lovely to have them as part of my gainful employment.

I thought I would be writing more, but I am still progressing at my usual rate i.e. between steady and slow. However, I have sold some stories so that's fine. I also won a £5 Amazon voucher for a little poem on Kishboo.

Some of the books I've enjoyed so far this year:

'The Casual Vacancy' - J.K. Rowling. Dark but brilliant. Did you see that a chair sat on by J.K. Rowling when she wrote Harry Potter has been sold for almost £280,000? Someone could buy all my furniture, and probably the house too, for that much!

'The Franchise Affair' - Josephine Tey. Classic detective mystery.

'Room for a Single Lady' - Clare Boylan. A series of lodgers provides entertainment and education for the young daughters of a Dublin family in the fifties.

'Miss Marple and Mystery' - Agatha Christie short stories.

And because I seem to be on a mystery theme, I have also been reading my way through the Fethering mysteries by Simon Brett.

Question of the day: why is a grapefruit nothing like a grape?
 
I'll let you ponder on that for the next three months or so. In return, you are welcome to leave me some book recommendations if you have any. I'm always on the lookout for the next good read.
 
Hope you have an inspiring April. Watch out for the showers!


10 comments:

Teresa Ashby said...

What a dream - to work somewhere with loads of books as well as the sewing and crafts with the voluntary work. Lovely!
Glad you're selling stories and writing poems too.
I saw that chair - my goodness.
And I've often wondered that about grapefruit so I'd love to know the answer :-) xx

joanne fox said...

I'd pay a bit for your chair, Teresa! x

bazza said...

Hi Joanne. I liked the Insomnia poem.
My last three books:
Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho by Stephen Rebello
How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff
The Finkler Question by Howard Jacobson
My question of the day:
How come a bird can fly but a fly can't bird?
CLICK HERE for Bazza’s fabulous Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

joanne fox said...

Hmm, good question Bazza. Is this the second time you read How I Live Now?

Mel u said...

Thanks for visiting The Reading Life. If you have not read An Invitation to the Waltz by Rosamond Lehmann. I also highly recommend Salina Hasting's biography of Lehmann. I am currently do a read through of her work.

joanne fox said...

Thank you Mel. I'm pretty sure I did read Invitation to the Waltz many years ago, but The Weather in the Streets was the one I really loved. On my bookshelf I also have Dusty Answer, so I must have read that too. I think I will have to read all those again, now you have reminded me of them. Will look out for the biography as well.

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Good to see you back in blogging land, Joanne! That does sound like the ideal jobs for you. Interesting to see you liked Casual Vacancy - I don't usually judge books or films unless I've read/watched them but I've never remotely wanted to read this from what I've read/heard about it. Maybe I should give it a try one day.

joanne fox said...

Rosemary - I didn't expect to like Casual Vacancy myself, but once I started I was quite gripped. However, reading is a very subjective thing, and there have been a lot of mixed opinions on that particular book.

bazza said...

Yes Joanne. I re-read How I Live Now again after seeing the film on TV. Of course, now I remember that I Blogged about it. Well remembered!

joanne fox said...

Aha! Yes, that book made quite an impact on me (as did your blog, evidently!)