Thursday 17 June 2010

Word Pool Wednesday

Yes I know it's now Thursday and I apologise for being a day late with this! Ellie Garratt at her lovely new blog 'Diving in the Word Pool' has had a terrific idea. Each Wednesday she will post 3 words. Our task is to use one, two or even all three of those words to make a story. The story cannot be longer than 33 words in total. See Ellie's blog for fuller details.

Yesterday's words were: seaside, liner, and port.

So below is my attempt in 33 words, with apologies also for rubbishness. I'm sure I will improve at this challenge with more practice.

Max dreaded the morning-after scene in the squalid seaside hotel. But his relief at waking alone was tainted by the message scrawled in eyeliner across the mirror. "Any port in a storm."

16 comments:

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

What a good idea - and I loved your story.

XX

Ellie Garratt said...

Not a rubbish story at all! I loved it.

It's fun to see how the words are used by different writers. Thank you for taking part.

Old Kitty said...

Yay!!! What a story!! And so not rubbish at all - it's fab - a full story in 33 words using 3 pre-set words - and you've done it and done it brilliantly!

Well done you!

Take care
x

Joanna said...

This is a really good idea. Your story was brilliant and so complete too.

HelenMWalters said...

That's brilliant. I love it.

Bob said...

I'm impressed by your story. It's distinctly unsettling. Using port as a metaphor is clever too.

Kate said...

Good idea, great story! I'd never have come up with that from those three words.

Paula RC said...

Great idea and great story!

It made me what to know more.... I can see a novel in the making there. Who left the message and why?
Why was Max alone in the Hotel? Was he running away from something or someone?

joanne fox said...

Thank you for your comments. Writing such a short piece is really hard for me - but it's a good exercise and can also help generate ideas for longer things. See Ellie's blog for next week's words and feel free to join in!

Karen said...

Fabulous! I do admire the ability to be clever yet economical with words :o)

Talli Roland said...

Joanne, I loved this! Made me smile.

Hope you're having a great weekend!

Unknown said...

Good use of the words. :-)

fairyhedgehog said...

That's very beautifully done.

joanne fox said...

Thank you. Don't forget it's Wednesday tomorrow and all are welcome for the next challenge on Ellie's blog.

bazza said...

Hi Joanne. Your story made me smile! What a great exercise this idea is. It's a clever way making yourself economical with words.

joanne fox said...

Cheers Bazza.